Popular Posts

Saturday 4 January 2014

Only Fools Rush In?

I'm in that joyous beginning part of a relationship, also known as, The Honeymoon Period.

We've been together a few months, and are doing the typical first stage couple stuff: we're going out for dinner dates, we're having wonderful sex, jumping on each other anytime we're in the same room, we're arranging mini-breaks, we're going to gigs and pretending to like each other's favourite bands, movies etc. It is perfect. Nearly.

Our relationship can only be described as a whirlwind. From our first date (Laced in Chelsea) we have seen each other practically every weekend, taken each other to every event, and become very much intertwined in each others lives. We've each met one another's best friends, we know each other's likes and dislikes, we've argued, we've made up and now it feels like the whirlwind is picking up speed.

Let me reiterate, it has been only a few months, but we've already discussed the 'L' word. No, not love - living together. I mean, we spend a lot of time together already, and it would make sense as we live pretty far, so I'm not too worried. He's broken down the fart boundary, (I remain perpetually clenching) made me watch football and taken the piss out of my ability to do anything with numbers, which makes me think... how much worse could it get? But I have never lived with a boy before, aren't they smelly and full of, you know, boy cooties?

His is the pink one.
What worries me the most is that I do not wear the trousers. This is the first relationship I've been in where I can't have my way all the time, but the scariest thing is... I kind of like it this way. Essentially what is making me think so hard, is that I am totally cool with it. I'd live with him tomorrow if he didn't live in the attic of a house share an hour up the M40. Then, dear friend of mine raised her eyebrows when I mentioned moving in together, saying only, "be careful - you don't know anyone until you live with them, Steffi."

What my dilemma breaks down to is this: how do you know if things are moving too fast?

Will washing vegetables ever be this joyful?
In the grand scheme of things, its not a big deal. I have this friend, a free spirited and beautiful lady, who got engaged a few weeks after being romantically involved with this guy. Of course everyone was shocked, and the phrase "well, that was fast," was thrown around once or twice - but now look at them. Living in California, permanently tanned and never happier. Another friend of mine has been with her boyfriend for 8 years, and they're not living together - and no one cares. But who is anyone else to judge how fast is too fast for another couple?

In reality, it boils down to this: you're moving too fast as soon as you second guess yourself. So no second guessing for me - head up, look forward and think about what an exciting year this could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment